The Diversity Immigrant Visa Programme (DV Lottery), sometimes referred to as the American Lottery, is one of the simplest ways to obtain a green card for the United States.
Here is everything you need to know and how to submit an online application for the American Visa Lottery 2025 (DV-2025).
About The American Lottery
Up to 55,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) will be offered during Fiscal Year 2025. Registration for the DV programme is free of charge, but those chosen for an interview must pay a visa application fee before submitting a formal visa application, during which a consular official will decide whether they are eligible for the visa.
Candidates who are chosen for the programme (selectees) must fulfil straightforward but stringent eligibility standards in order to be eligible for a DV. Selectees are chosen by the Department of State through a random computer lottery. Diversity visas are allocated by the Department of State among six geographical areas, and no nation may get more than 7% of the total DVs in any given year.
Criteria 1: Those who are citizens of nations with historically low immigration rates to the US may be admitted.
There are two alternative ways you can be eligible if you are not a native of a nation with historically low rates of immigration to the United States.
- Does your spouse come from a nation that traditionally has had minimal immigration to the US? If the answer is yes, you are allowed to claim your spouse’s country of birth as long as both of you are listed on the chosen entry, are approved for diversity visas, and enter the nation at the same time.
- Are you a native of a nation with a historically high rate of immigration to the US but where neither of your parents were born or were lawfully residing when you were born?If the answer is affirmative, you may claim the nation of one of your parents’ birth if its citizens are qualified for the DV-2025 program.
Criteria 2: Each DV applicant must satisfy the program’s education/work experience requirements by possessing one of the following:
- At least a high school education, or its equivalent, which is defined as successfully completing a 12-year course of formal elementary and secondary education;
- Two years of work experience within the previous five years in a profession that calls for at least two years of training or experience to perform. To determine the appropriate job experience, the Department of State will consult the O*Net Online database of the U.S. Department of Labour.
DV-2025 Program: The DV-2025 Program’s online registration period is open from Wednesday, October 4, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), until Tuesday, November 7, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) (GMT-5). A person’s entries will all be disqualified if they are submitted more than once within the registration period.
How to Apply for the DV-Lottery
The following information is required to complete the process:
- Name — as it appears on your passport
- Date of birth — day, month year
- City of birth
- Country of birth
- Country of eligibility for the DV-2025
- Passport number
- Recent photograph
- Postal address
- Country of current residence
- Phone number (optional)
- Highest academic level achieved
- Current marital status
- Number of children
Procedure to Apply
- Visit the DV-2024 program website at dvprogram.state.gov
- At the Entry Form section, select Begin Entry
- In order to go to the forms page, enter the numbers and/or letters that appear to complete the authentication.
- As soon as the entry form is displayed, complete it with the appropriate legal details.
- once completed, send the form.
Upon successful registration, you will receive a confirmation number and digital signature.
- The page must be printed or the confirmation number must be written down before the window can be closed.
The only authorized variation of the DV-2025 Program Instructions is the English version in PDF format.
Deadline: Tuesday, November 7, 2023