The GIST Scholarship in South Korea is currently open for its 2024 intake. This is a fully funded opportunity and a completely supported fellowship that encourages persons to pursue MS, and MPHIL degrees that lead to PhD degrees. It also supports researchers, technical professionals, and students. Talented people are prepared for further advancement in science and technology through the GIST scholarship in South Korea. It is one of the esteemed scholarships in Korea that supports top-notch education and training through courses and projects that are research-focused. For this fully financed scholarship in South Korea, students from all international nations are allowed to apply. This overseas scholarship in South Korea includes a one-way plane ticket to Korea as well as monthly stipends. It also covers tuition costs. Additionally, the length of the GIST scholarship varies by degree type and is three, seven, or eight years for an MS, PhD, and integrated MS/PhD.
One of the best public universities in South Korea, is Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology. The university and the Ministry of Science and Technology of South Korea are working together on the GIST Scholarships for International Students project. They seek to promote technological, scientific, and research advancements. In addition to courses in electrical engineering and computer science, they also provide instruction in chemistry and biomedical science, life science, material science and engineering, mechanical engineering, physics and photon science, nanobio materials and electronics, Earth science and environmental engineering integrated technology, and artificial intelligence.
See also: Call for KEEP Scholarship Applications
Eligibility of the GIST Scholarship in South Korea:
- Applicants must hold a final degree before enrollment at GIST.
- Their bachelor’s degree must be equivalent to a Korean bachelor’s degree.
- Furthermore, applicants from all countries can apply (except for South Korea).
- They should be proficient in English.
- Applications must have an excellent academic record.
- They must demonstrate academic excellence.
- They must also meet the criteria and requirements of the program/course they are applying for.
Fields Offered at Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Earth Science and Environmental Engineering
- School of Life Science
- Department of Physics and Photon Science
- School of Integrated Technology
- Artificial Intelligence Graduate School
- School of Energy Convergence
Benefits of Fully Funded scholarship:
- The scholarship will cover the 100% tuition fee of international students.
- MS students will receive a monthly stipend of 140,000 Won.
- PhD students will get a monthly stipend of 295,000 Won.
- MS and PhD students will receive a meal allowance of 100,000 Won.
- MS and PhD students will receive an international student allowance of 120,000 Won. However, students must maintain a three or higher GPA out of 4.5 in the previous semester.
- MS students participating in research projects will receive a research assistantship of 4,785,384 won per year, while PhD students will get a research assistantship of 12,263,262 won per year.
- Also, GIST will reimburse one-way flight to South Korea (only once).
- It will also cover 60% of national health insurance, including annual medical checkups.
- Opportunity to study at a top Korean university without worrying about financial expenses.
- Live in South Korea and discover Korean culture.
- Explore career opportunities in South Korea.
Note: Students must complete at least nine credits in the previous semester to get student and meal allowance benefits under the GIST scholarship.
Following are the supporting documents applicants must submit with the online application. Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Online application
- Official degrees and transcripts. Apostille is preferred; notarized copies are also acceptable.
- Two letters of recommendation with the stamp and signs of the recommenders.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
- Official English language test report i-e, TOEFL (BT) 80, TOEFL (PBT) 550, IELTS 6.5, TOEIC 750, NEW TEPS 327.
How To Apply for the Scholarship in South Korea
Deadline is October 15, 2023.